Roll up to the ideal destination for a caravan holiday. Swap indoors for the great outdoors, park up and settle in for a stay where a sense of community and a slower pace of life are all part of the charm. Whether you want to set up camp with the beach on your doorstep or head to the hills for a nature-based break in the rainforest, there’s a myriad of marvellous locations for your Gold Coast caravan holiday.
Our history with camping and caravan holidays dates right back to the 1920s when a new coastal road between Brisbane and Southport was built, making the journey to the Gold Coast much more accessible for holiday makers. Since then, our caravan culture has gone from strength to strength and these days our beachside city is a perennially popular spot for those with who tow their holiday homes behind them.
CARAVANS ON THE BEACH
The Gold Coast boasts 57 kilometres of coastline and there are seven tourist parks spread along this sandy stretch (there’s nine in total, but two are on South Stradbroke Island, which are camping only).
The tourist parks are owned and operated by The City of Gold Coast and are a budget friendly option for families, couples and travellers of all types. The joy of having a home on wheels is you can park it on a piece of prime beach front real estate for a very reasonable rate.
View this post on Instagram
- Burleigh Beach Tourist Park – for over 70 years caravan holidays have been happening in this beautiful spot. You’re only 200 metres from iconic Burleigh Point where locals picnic and watch surfers take on the famous break. The walking tracks through Burleigh Heads National Park provide stunning views of the coast and will lead you to the crystal waters of Tallebudgera Creek. Burleigh has also become a foodie hot spot with plenty of restaurants, bars, cafés and boutique stores to visit during your stay. Powered sites start at $48 per night and facilities include barbecues, a swimming pool and fully-stocked kiosk.
- Kirra Beach Tourist Park is just 300 metres from one of the world’s most iconic surf beaches, so board shorts and thongs are the local dress code. It’s an ideal spot for family beach days and the park is dog friendly too, so bring your hound on holiday. Powered sites start from $41 per night, and there’s a children’s playground, a jumping pillow and recreation room, along with the usual facilities.
- Tallebudgera Creek Tourist Park is one the Coast’s most popular spots and you’ll have prime position on the banks of the crystal clear creek. A patrolled surf beach is a short walk away and the attractions of Burleigh are just over the hill to the north. It’s an ideal spot for all water sports and there’s a boat ramp right next to the park. If there’s not enough swimming options already, choose from three swimming pools on site plus tennis courts, a kiosk, playgrounds and recreation rooms. Powered sites start at $48 per night.
- Ocean Beach Tourist Park offers caravan and campervan powered sites right beside centrally located Miami Beach. There’s great restaurants and cafés a short walk away, as well as supermarkets for provisions, and surf clubs overlooking the beach. There are so many good eating options nearby you might give the BBQ a miss altogether! Powered sites start at $48 per night.
- Main Beach Tourist Park is just two minutes drive from Surfers Paradise. And a minute’s walk from one of the most popular beaches on the Coast (Main Beach). It’s a short stroll to Tedder Avenue which is full of cafés, boutiques, bars and restaurants with a handy supermarket for supplies. Powered sites start at $48 per night, there’s also a swimming pool, camp kitchen and children’s playground.
- Broadwater Tourist Park takes advantage of the Gold Coast’s ‘other’ water offering – the Broadwater, a protected waterway behind Surfers Paradise. You’re also right next door to The Rockpools Water Park. The surf beaches aren’t far away, and there’s bike paths to everything, plus a recreation room, tennis, BBQ, bouncing pillow on site. Sites start at $48 per night.
- Jacobs Well Tourist Park is a boaties’ secret. It’s off the beaten path, but has a boat ramp opposite with direct access to Moreton Bay Marine Park – Australia’s largest estuarine bay. Fishermen will love this spot, though all the family are catered for; it’s right on the river with a netted swimming area, skate park, basketball, tennis and it’s dog-friendly. Sites start at just $37 per night.
NOBBY BEACH HOLIDAY VILLAGE
This quaint caravan park in the heart of Nobby Beach is known for its friendly village atmosphere.. and the waterslide! Park your caravan up here just 10-minute walk away from the Pacific Ocean and a stone’s throw from some of the region’s best alfresco cafes and dining locations, boutique shops, street food markets and much more. A great base for your Gold Coast holiday and with first-class facilities including two pools, a playground activities room and camp kitchen. Powered sites at Nobby Beach Holiday Village start from $55 a night.
NRMA TREASURE ISLAND
Unearth a gem of a caravan park at NRMA Treausre Island in Bigger Waters. With facilities like a kids club, 4 resort style pools, pirate themed mini golf and pedal go karts on offer, the kids will never complain about being bored. It’s pet-friendly and wheel-chair accessible and its central location provide easy access to all major theme parks, Harbourtown Shopping Centre & the Broadwater.
SECURA LIFESTYLE NORTH GOLD COAST
Park your van up at Secura Lifestyle North Gold Coast – pack your pooch too because this is a dog friendly caravan park. Guests love it for the cleanliness and convenience, with communal camp kitchen and BBQ areas that make mealtimes a breeze. It’s quick to get onto the Pacific Hwy from here and with public transport stopping right outside, it’s easy for holiday makers to get to all the attractions the Gold Coast has to offer. While away a few leisurely hours at the many local boutiques, restaurants, and cafes just minutes from your caravan steps.
BIG 4 GOLD COAST HOLIDAY PARK, HELENSVALE
Take your caravan a few kilometres inland and base yourself close to one of the Gold Coast’s biggest attractions; its theme parks. Big 4 Holiday Park is located right next door to Movie World, Wet’n’Wild and Dreamworld (they’re just a few minutes drive away). There’s also a pool, waterslide and family restaurant on site.
View this post on Instagram
CARAVAN INTO THE HINTERLAND
The Gold Coast is famous for its beaches – but there’s a whole other side of our amazing destination to discover. Leave the sand behind and head for the mountains. Only a short drive away, the Gold Coast Hinterland is a haven for caravanners.
- O’Reillys Campground has 21 RV sites opening in the September school holidays with brand-new facilities. Located in Lamington National Park – where there’s 22,000 hectares of World-Heritage listed rain forest right on your doorstep. The campground is equipped with a brand-new camp kitchen, amenities building, communal fire pit and community hub. You’re also right next door to iconic O’Reillys Rainforest Retreat, run by generations of the same family. There’s everything here from Tree Top rainforest canopy walks to the perfect bar for sunset drinks, and 160 kilometres of hiking trails.
- Binna Burra Campground is also opening up to caravans in September 2021. The campground and adjoining lodge was destroyed by fires in 202o but Binna Burra has risen from the ashes and is back in business which is great news for nature holiday lovers. Unpowered and powered sites are available, with a new amenities block and BBQs next door to Binna Burra Teahouse which serves light meals.
- Powered caravan sites are available from $58 per night at Thunderbird Park, built along the border of the Tamborine National Park. There’s a new camp kitchen and fire pits and an onsite restaurant and lounge bar if you’d rather have a night off from cooking. There’s heaps to do here – Thunderbird Park has Australia’s largest, highest and fastest zip-line tour (70kmh!). You can fossick in the world’s largest thunder-egg mine or go horse-riding through the beautiful surrounds.
View this post on Instagram
Like this article?
Subscribe to our email list below to receive holiday inspiration & exclusive deals straight to your inbox!