In church grounds at Pimpama, halfway between Brisbane and the Gold Coast, stands a stone memorial-a soldier statue, his head bowed, hands crossed and resting on his rifle, a tree trunk supporting him. It is, in fact, a replica of the original which was unveiled in 1919 following a public subscription.
The original stood in the cemetery of Pimpama Uniting (previously Methodist) Church, a tribute to the seven local men who had died in WWI. It was produced by AL Petrie and Son of Toowong, the largest masonry firm in Queensland at the time; responsible for many WWI memorials.
A series of relocations within the property have occurred, the most recent in 1993, when the replica was commissioned. This facsimile, positioned facing the Pacific Highway, was unveiled on ANZAC Day 1995.
The old digger, which was in poor condition, was relocated to Miles Historical Village.
Caters for people with sufficient mobility to climb a few steps but who would benefit from fixtures to aid balance. (This includes people using walking frames and mobility aids)
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF COUNTRY
Destination Gold Coast acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of the land on which we are situated, the Kombumerri families of the Yugambeh Language Region.
We pay our respects to their Elders past, present and emerging, and recognise their continuing connections to the lands, waters and their extended communities throughout Southeast Queensland.